Tell WTTG General Manager Patrick Paolini: Fire Emily Miller
Update: On August 24, 2015, Emily Miller was featured in a segment on gun policy on WTTG. For the first time, her report was appended with a disclosure from WTTG that “[Miller] is a strong advocate of the Second Amendment.”1 In March 2016,the Washington Examiner reported Miller would be leaving WTTG at the end of her two-year contract, which began on April 28, 2014.2
In its Code of Ethics, the Society of Professional Journalists states that journalists should “act independently” by avoiding “conflicts of interest, real or perceived” and “political…activities that may compromise integrity or impartiality.”3
By this standard, Emily Miller has no business being the Chief Investigative Reporter for WTTG, the Fox affiliate for Washington, D.C. and Maryland.
On January 19, 2015, Miller spoke at a rally conducted by the Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL), a radical pro-gun group that embraces the use of political violence, having stated that “there’s the ‘cold, dead fingers’ option” if their political activism is unsuccessful.4 At the rally, Miller told attendees that the District of Columbia “is not part of America, because they don’t recognize the Second Amendment.” She further told VCDL members that she is “part of this fight that we’re all in.”5
On February 11, 2015, Miller spoke at a rally in Annapolis organized by Maryland Shall Issue (MSI), telling those in attendance, “I live in D.C. now, so our gun laws, your gun laws, I feel your pain … No American should ever have to move to have their constitutional rights recognized … God gave us these rights. These are human rights.”6
Miller is the author of “Emily Gets Her Gun…But Obama Wants to Take Yours,” a book in which she rails against D.C.’s democratically-enacted licensing and registration laws, which have been deemed constitutional by a federal court7 (as have Maryland’s gun laws8). She has also personally testified before the D.C. Council’s Judiciary Committee in favor of looser gun laws.9 Finally, some have accused Miller of fabricating stories on WTTG to further her pro-gun agenda.10
This is the behavior of an activist and pundit, not a journalist. Given her record, D.C. and Maryland residents can’t trust that Miller will provide objective coverage on matters of concern to their city. If WTTG is at all concerned with journalistic integrity, it is time for them part ways with her.
Tell WTTG General Manager Patrick Paolini: Fire Emily Miller.
- Media Matters for America, “DC’s Fox 5 Discloses That Chief Investigative Reporter Is “A Strong Advocate Of The Second Amendment,” August 26, 2015
- Media Matters for America, “Gun Advocate Emily Miller to Leave Fox 5 Station,” March 1, 2016
- Society of Professional Journalists, SPJ Code of Ethics, September 6, 2014
- Virginia Citizens Defense League, Lobby Day 2014 Wrap-Up, January 22, 2014
- Media Matters for America, “Washington, D.C. Based Fox Reporter Says D.C. ‘Is Not Part Of America’ At Extremist Pro-Gun Rally,” January 21, 2015
- Erik Wemple, “WTTG (Fox 5) Reporter Emily Miller Advances Gun-Rights Agenda in Maryland,” Washington Post, February 10, 2015
- Nicole Flatow, “Federal Judge Upholds Each And Every Provision Of D.C.’s Gun Safety Law,” Think Progress, May 15, 2014
- Erin Cox, “21 States Hope to Overturn Maryland’s Gun Control Law,” Baltimore Sun, November 21, 2014
- Emily Miller, “My Testimony at D.C. Council,” Washington Times, January 31, 2012
- Media Matters for America, “Reporter Emily Miller Fabricates Hillary Clinton Quote “Nobody Should Have Guns,” May 20, 2014